23 Nov Community Engagement Events
Community Engagement 2021-2022
Sponsored and facilitated Fall and Spring Reading Events at Montessori Elementary at Highland Park (MEHP).
Host monthly Kids in the Kitchen after school club meetings for 5th graders at MEHP.
Held a Polar Express pajama drive for all MEHP students, donating over 200 pairs of pajamas.
Organized a teacher appreciation breakfast at our Polar Express PJ delivery.
Collected new and slightly used clothes, purses, accessories, shoes and storage items to Renew who mission is designed to restore women who are in need and help give them the tools and support to work through their past and start a better future. Fresh clothing helps with this fresh start and new outlook on their life.
Collected and donated new school supplies and classroom materials to stock the Hamilton County Teacher Supply Store.
Provided self-care kits and education to the young women of Girls Inc. at their annual Back to School Bash
Provided helping hands at a fundraiser for local, non-profit, Hope Included, as they seek to raise funds to build an inclusive community playground
Served as “virtual” guest readers for East Lake Elementary School’s “Read Across America” Week
With monetary support from a local sponsor, JLC provided over $17,000 in “Mini Grants” money to local Hamilton County School classrooms and teachers to support new and innovative ways of promoting literacy and learning in the classroom.
We helped build, secure sponsorships and stock six Little Free Libraries located at these locations. Ongoing donations of books are collected from READ 20 and JLC members to restock these Little Libraries locations below:
Bridge City Community Church | 3300 Brannon Avenue, Chattanooga
East Side Elementary | 1603 S. Lyerly Street, Chattanooga
Heritage Park | 1428 Jenkins Road, Chattanooga
John A Patten Recreation Center | 3202 Kellys Ferry Road, Chattanooga
Montessori Elementary | Highland Park, Chattanooga
Junior League of Chattanooga | 622 E. 4th Street, Chattanooga
Additional projects in recent years serving our community include:
- Sponsored the New Teacher Academy breakfast.
- Volunteered at the food pantry at East Lake Elementary.
- Volunteered and provided treats at East Lake Elementary Fall Festival sponsored by JLC Kids in the Kitchen Committee.
- Collected books to donate to the Opportunity Zone school libraries and Read 20.
- Adopt-a-Teacher Welcome Reception hosted 44 of Hamilton County’s newest teachers at Orchard Knob Elementary School. JLC’s League of Learner’s Team provided treats, drinks, and goody bags supporting new teachers to help them start their first year off right!